The attorneys in the general counsel's office provide a broad range of legal services to employees in all four divisions.
- Providing general legal counsel and legal services to the department's executive staff
- Providing legal advice concerning the administration of prisons and the supervision of probationers and parolees
- Providing legal advice in all areas of employee relations, including discipline of employees
- Reviewing contracts and interagency agreements
- Reviewing and drafting legislative proposals
- Responding to subpoenas (for employees and/or records) and other requests for records
- Advising records officers and parole analysts regarding criminal sentences
- Responding to court orders relating to the transportation or release of prisoners
- Representing department officials at various administrative hearings
- Providing litigation assistance to attorneys with the Attorney General's Office
- Reviewing department policies and procedures.