Required Educational Assessment and Community Treatment (REACT)

Frequently Asked Questions

How did R.E.A.C.T. come to be a condition of probation?

In 1998, Sponsors of HB 1147 were Craig Hosmer and Co Sponsor Steve Gaw, the sponsors introduced text that was developed and became law to "enable judicial circuits to institute drug courts and establish a required treatment program for certain drug offenders" " The bill requires courts to order an offender for certain drug offenses (RSMo 195) to begin an educational assessment and community treatment (R.E.A.C.T.) program administered by the Department of Corrections and the Department of Mental Health, within 60 days of probation, as a condition of probation. The fees for the program and the $60.00 supplemental fee will be paid in whole or in part by the offender. The supplemental fees, less 2% administrative cost, will be deposited in the Correctional Substance Abuse Earnings Fund. This fund created in the state treasury will be used for assistance in securing alcohol and drug rehabilitation services. House Bill 1147 became law August 28th, 1998.

And, just what is R.E.A.C.T?

R.E.A.C.T. is a condition of probation, where by the offender who has been sentenced under the RSMo 195 guidelines receives a screening assessment to determine if an individual's level of substance use or mental health status requires an education or treatment intervention. A network of screening offices known as RSU's (R.E.A.C.T. Screening Units) have been established through out the state, the offender can select a RSU near their home site to complete this first portion of R.E.A.C.T. After the initial screening has been completed, the screening assessment is forwarded to the Department of Corrections, district probation and parole office. Should the RSU indicate a need for community treatment, the screening assessment should indicate at what level of community treatment the offender would best be served. The determination for community treatment is determined by the services available within the offenders' probation and parole district and community. In the event the screening assessment has determined that the offender needs a REP (REACT Educational Program) the RSU can service those needs by providing the offender with a Department of Corrections and Department of Mental Health curriculum designed to address such needs.

Client Questions

Where do I go to do REACT?

REACT programs can be completed at any certified REACT program, which may be accessible to the person (consult REACT/SATOP directory).

How much does it cost?

The REACT screening will cost $125, of which $60 is the supplemental fee, which is submitted to the state’s Department of Corrections Correctional Substance Abuse Earnings Fund. Money from this fund is used to apply towards services for those offenders who may not be able to pay for services in treatment programs. When a client is recommended to the R.E.A.C.T. Education Program (REP), the cost will be an additional $100.00. If a client’s recommendation is treatment, the Standard Means Test can be applied towards this program level cost of service.

I received a recommendation to do a REP, but I can’t/ don’t believe that I really have a drug problem. What are my options—do I have to do what they say?

The requirement to participate in and successfully complete a R.E.A.C.T. program is a condition of probation set by the court. Clients who disagree with this requirement must take the issue before their probation officer and/or the court.

I’m a resident of another state, but got a drug charge while in Missouri. Do I have to come back to complete the program in Missouri?

This is a question that must be asked of the Probation and Parole officer. If a client completes an equivalent program in another state, the providing agency must be state certified, or nationally accredited. The client must receive an assessment and successfully complete a recommended substance use treatment program. Notification of compliance or completion must be sent to the supervising Probation and Parole officer.

I’ve moved to a different state. How can I meet the R.E.A.C.T. requirements?

If a client completes a equivalent program in another state, the providing agency must be state certified, or nationally accredited. The client must receive an assessment and successfully complete a recommended program. Notification of compliance or completion must be sent to the supervising Probation and Parole officer.

I’m a resident of another state, but want to complete the R.E.A.C.T. program in Missouri. Does that make any difference?

Yes — a person who has been found guilty, or pled guilty to a felony drug offense in another state can participate in any of the R.E.A.C.T. programs. However, they must participate just like any other Missouri resident (pay the supplemental fee, do the screening and successfully complete a program). Upon successful program completion, notice of offender compliance will be sent to that person’s probation officer in their state of residence. The big difference is that they will not qualify for the SMT as a nonresident.

I need to complete R.E.A.C.T. right away (or if I don’t do it before Monday the judge is going to put me in jail). Where are there classes this weekend?

It is recommended that you keep a listing of programs within your region and give those numbers out when people call looking for various programs. It would be impossible to keep a calendar of who’s doing what and when. Give the client the phone number of local agencies and let them take the responsibility of finding out when programs are available.

I completed an inpatient program. Will this meet the R.E.A.C.T. requirements?

Clients completing a program prior to the R.E.A.C.T. screening can use the successful completion of a treatment program, if the completed program was through a certified or accredited program. The client will still be required to complete the screening process (pay the screening and the supplemental fees). The R.E.A.C.T. agency will then require documentation (usually a discharge summary) from that program. The Department also recognizes programs from the Veteran’s Hospitals and the Department of Corrections Substance Use Treatment Programs.

A RSMo 195 offender was placed on probation prior to R.E.A.C.T. legislation. The offender violates conditions of probation after R.E.A.C.T. legislation takes effect. Is this an offender who will be referred to R.E.A.C.T.?

R.E.A.C.T. is ordered as a condition of probation by the court. This offender, would not, as a result of this violation be required to participate in R.E.A.C.T. However, the court may choose to amend the conditions of probation to include R.E.A.C.T. as a condition of the offenders' probation.

Agency Questions

I would like to provide R.E.A.C.T. services. What do I have to do?

Individuals or agencies who would like to provide R.E.A.C.T. services must be certified by the Department of Mental Health Division of Alcohol and Drug Abuse. The agency must complete a SATOP application and a R.E.A.C.T. application for certification. There are application procedures that must be completed prior to certification. Contact the SATOP section of the Division of Behavioral Health in Jefferson City Missouri..

I have a client who is dually diagnosed. What do I do?

A client who is currently suffering from mental illness must be in a stable condition prior to receiving R.E.A.C.T. services. Documentation must be provided which indicates the client can participate in, and receive benefit, from R.E.A.C.T. services. If the client is unstable, referral must be made to a mental health provider.

I have a client who is deaf, hard of hearing, or doesn’t speak English. What services are reimbursable and how do I find an interpreter?

The Division will reimburse for contracted services at the treatment level only. The RSU and REP services are the responsibility of the provider (and required by ADA).

Sign language interpreters must be certified and licensed and we will assist in finding a spoken language interpreter in your area. More information, a list of interpreters and interpreter agencies can be obtained by contacting the Missouri Department of Mental Health, Office of Deaf Services David Kingsbury, MA, Director   Phone: (573) 751-7033  Email:




  • ADA - Americans With Disabilities Act
  • DOC - Missouri Department of Corrections
  • DMH - Missouri Department of Mental Health
  • DADA - Division of Alcohol and Drug Abuse
  • MAPP - Multidimensional Addictions Personality Profile
  • P & P - Missouri Probation and Parole
  • R.E.A.C.T. - Required Educational Assessment and Community Treatment
  • REP - REACT Educational Program
  • RSU - REACT Screening Unit
  • SATOP - Substance Awareness Traffic Offender Program
  • SMT - Standard Means Test