The Transition Center of Kansas City (TCKC), located in the Historic West Bottoms of Kansas City, Missouri, is a newly remodeled transitional living facility. Formerly a minimum-security prison, TCKC was transformed into a resource hub for justice-involved individuals to develop and strengthen their network of support for a successful reentry journey.
What they do
The Restorative Reentry Community (RRC) at TCKC promotes a college campus atmosphere with more than 50 community partners. They offer unique programs and activities - from digital skills to Tibetan yoga. A wide range of programs and resources empower residents in their journey from where they have been to where they are going.
Residents create new paths to success by furthering their education, learning job readiness skills, obtaining employment, and discovering self-improvement needs that are specific to each resident.
How they do it
TCKC follows a four-phase process with an emphasis on preserving the dignity of residents.
- ORIENTATION - Get familiar with the program and resources at TCKC
- DISCOVERY - Where your passion reveals your purpose; the dreaming begins!
- JOURNEY - Learn your unique skills, grow in wisdom, and build your future
- TRANSFORMATION - Successfully transition into the community!
Areas of focus for residents
- Critical thinking skills
- Goal setting
- Purposeful peer relationships
- Positive communication
- Social skills
- Evaluating high-risk situations
- Triggers and relapse prevention
- Constructive thinking
- Engaging in prosocial behaviors
- Positive thinking habits
Creating a support system
- Conflict resolution
- Strengthening family relationships
- Exhibiting self-control
- Maintaining human dignity
Culture of Transformation
MISSION: Create opportunities for a new beginning through transformation for a better future
VISION: Inspire excellence in our communities through ideas and values that promote transformation for success
VALUES: Inspire transformation with dignity, kindness, and compassion by being virtuous, aware, loyal, understanding, empathetic, and successful
PLEDGE: To work together to transform ourselves and our communities with dignity and respect
Facility Location and Phone number
Transition Center of Kansas City
Kansas City, MO 64101