(Department Director, Deputy Director, Division Directors, Deputy and Assistant Division Directors, DHS Section Heads, and P&P Regional Administrators)
We value our employees and respecting others.
- All employees of the department are expected to maintain professionalism during the performance of their duties, and to treat all co-workers, all members of the general public, and all persons under the supervision of the department with dignity, courtesy, and respect, recognizing the diverse background, characteristics, and beliefs of all those with whom they conduct business.
- Administrators are expected to conduct their personal life in a manner that displays the highest professional standard and does not reflect negatively on the department.
- Administrators are expected to strictly comply with the department’s prohibitions against discrimination, harassment, and retaliation, and to report any such behavior or actions immediately through the proper chain of command or the Office of Professional Standards.
- Employees represent our department in digital as well as physical spaces. When posting public comments on the official social media accounts of the Missouri Department of Corrections, employees must conduct themselves with professionalism and integrity. Employees are also expected to use other social media responsibly when identifying themselves, either through words or pictures, as employees of the Department of Corrections.
We value integrity and teamwork.
- Department employees are expected to be knowledgeable of and comply with all departmental procedures, the Employee Handbook, the Code of Conduct, and local, state and federal laws.
- Administrators are expected to carry out all lawful instructions of designated supervisors and to report instructions not consistent with the law to proper authorities.
- Administrators are expected to immediately report any misconduct or mismanagement through the appropriate chain of command or to the department’s Office of Professional Standards.
- Administrators are expected to approach their duties with a positive attitude and constructively support open communication, dedication, and compassion in the work place.
- Administrators will maintain the integrity of private information and will neither seek personal data beyond that needed to perform their duties, nor reveal any information to anyone not having authorization for use of such.
We value the participation of all employees.
- Administrators are expected to apply their knowledge, skills, and abilities to the job for which they are compensated.
- Administrators are expected to develop and promote the department’s mission, vision, and strategic plan. This includes educating employees, identifying initiatives, and assessing and adjusting targets and goals. Our aspiration is to improve lives for safer communities through providing a safe work environment, improving our workforce and reducing risk and recidivism.
- Administrators are expected to minimize unscheduled absences, arrive at work on time and ready to work, and to notify supervisors in a timely manner when they must be absent from work.
- Administrators are expected to participate in monthly ENGAGE meetings with their supervisors.
We value supportive leadership.
- Administrators will support the professional development of all staff by developing and putting into place opportunities for training, leadership development, and opportunities for personal growth.
- Administrators will make every effort through funding and the development of procedures to make the work location positive and safe.
- Administrators will schedule time to tour the worksites across the state and converse with staff of all levels.
- Administrators will utilize the supervisory foundation skills when working with all staff.
- Administrators will role model, coach, and mentor supervisory foundation skills to other supervisory staff who need assistance. Administrators will help secure and support assistance for supervisors who require additional skill development
- Administrators will hold monthly ENGAGE discussions with subordinates.
- Administrators will ensure all supervisors within their chain of command are conducting monthly ENGAGE meetings with their staff.
- Administrators will foster teamwork and cooperation among employees and set a tone of appreciation so that all staff know they are valued.