June 29, 2018
The night of May 12-13, 2018, 78 inmates at Crossroads Correctional Center (CRCC) were involved in a disturbance that resulted in extensive property damage within the institution’s central building, which houses supplies and equipment vital to many of the facility’s regular functions. Read more about the event.
CRCC has been on lockdown since May 12 while the department completes investigations, cleanup and repairs. These complex processes require time, staff and department resources. Performing them carefully and thoroughly is essential to ensuring the safety and security of offenders and staff.
During the lockdown, staff members have received and continue to receive direct and specific threats of physical harm from offenders who say they plan to carry out attacks as soon as the lockdown is lifted. We must balance the safety of our staff with the offenders’ need for greater freedom of movement.
Please be assured that, while offenders have been restricted to their cells most of the time, their fundamental needs are being met. Offenders have access to:
- Three nutritionally balanced boxed meals daily
- Mail service
- Medical treatment
- Mental health services
- Law library materials
- Attorney visits and phone calls
- Emergency phone calls
- Showers every three days
- Running water (sinks in the cells)
- Hygiene items
- Clean linens
- Laundry service
- Cleaning supplies
- Books and personal items
- Limited canteen items
Restoration of services and a return to normal operations will happen gradually, in a tiered process. The first tier, to be implemented in early July, includes the addition of the following services, within limitations, for the general population:
- Daily showers
- Scheduled health care appointments
- Daily phone access
- 20 minutes of recreation time daily
- Work assignments for some offender jobs
The next tier, to be implemented in late July, includes the addition of:
- Protective custody and administrative segregation hearings
- Hot food service in the dining hall for the noon meal (boxed meals continue for morning and evening)
- Return to normal cleaning schedules
- Increased work assignments for essential workers
- Increased medical appointments
Additional services will be restored as conditions permit. We intend to return to full normal function of the facility as soon as we can ensure the safety of offenders and staff.
Please check our website for facility news updates.