A federal court recently ruled that qualifying incarcerated people are now eligible to receive a federal stimulus check (Economic Impact Payment, or EIP) under the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security Act (CARES Act). In order to receive a check, you must fill out an IRS Form 1040 with “EIP 2020” written at the top and mail it to the IRS, postmarked by November 4, 2020. Additional information on how to obtain an IRS Form 1040 or the Economic Impact Payment has been posted in housing unit wings and the offender library.
Completed forms should be mailed to Department of Treasury, Internal Revenue Service, Austin TX 73301-0003. Completed forms previously mailed to the Kansas City office will be re-routed to the IRS office in Texas.
- Economic Impact Payment (EIP) Frequently Asked Questions
- Blank Economic Impact Payment (EIP) Form 1040 – This is an example of an IRS 1040 form
- Example Economic Impact Payment (EIP) Form 1040 – This is an example of an IRS 1040 form
- Filing a Simplified Paper Tax Form – These are the instructions for filing out an IRS 1040 form.
- IRS Notice 1444-D – CARES Act Economic Impact Payments to Incarcerated Individuals
- IRS Notice 1446 – Request Your Economic Impact Payment (EIP)