Have a heart for service? Apply now to be a corrections officer! Paid training. Health insurance and retirement. Paid vacation and sick leave. Locations throughout Missouri.
Corrections Officer I
This is entry-level corrections work in the management and treatment of offenders in Missouri Department of Corrections facilities.
- Maintains security in buildings, towers and other posts of an adult correctional facility; intervenes during emergencies or altercations and gains physical control of offenders.
- Supervises movement of offenders inside and outside the correctional facility, conducts periodic counts of offenders, and searches offenders and their living quarters for contraband.
- Escorts and/or transports offenders to predetermined locations.
- Supervises offenders in housing units and during the performance of work activities and recreational and religious activities; conducts inspections for health and safety hazards.
- Prepares and submits reports on offender violations of divisional or correctional facility rules, unusual offender behaviors, observed mechanical deficiencies, and security breaches or failures.
- Discusses minor adjustment problems with offenders; refers serious problems to proper correctional facility staff and promotes rehabilitation by attempting to modify offender’s social attitudes, discouraging undesirable behaviors, and encouraging worthwhile activities.
- Supervises visits with offenders; searches visitors, offenders, buildings, and grounds for contraband.
- Performs work in accordance with established rules, regulations, post orders, and specific instructions; receives general administrative direction.
- Performs other related work as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Introductory knowledge of the rules and regulations concerning the supervision, control, and treatment of adult offenders in a correctional facility.
- Introductory knowledge of use-of-force guidelines and the ability to apply those guidelines in a professional manner.
- Skill in use of firearms and emergency equipment.
- Ability to remain alert, observant, and physically able to respond to work situations and emergencies.
- Ability to enforce rules, regulations, and discipline with firmness, tact, and impartiality.
- Ability to understand rules, regulations, and procedures.
- Ability to complete assigned tasks and responsibilities with limited supervision.
- Ability to concentrate on a task over an extended period of time.
- Ability to comprehend and follow instructions.
- Ability to accurately prepare and maintain records and reports.
- Ability to operate a motor vehicle.
- Ability to be trained in the use of firearms and maintain annual certification.
- Ability to be trained in the use of emergency equipment.
- Ability to be trained in computer usage and telecommunications equipment.
- Ability to communicate effectively.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with staff, offenders, and the general public.
Paid training is provided.
- One or more years of work experience
- 19 years of age or older
- High school diploma or proof of high school equivalency
(30 earned credit hours from an accredited college or university may substitute for the stated experience.)
- Successful completion of an essential functions evaluation administered by the Missouri Department of Corrections will be required prior to employment.
- Ability to pass a background investigation administered by the Missouri Department of Corrections.
- Ability to complete and maintain firearms certification training administered by the Missouri Department of Corrections.
- By assignment, a position may require possession of a valid vehicle operator’s license.
$31,288 - $44,476 Annual
- Pre-service and in-service training
- Paid holidays
- 10 hours annual leave per month
- 10 hours sick leave per month
- Health insurance (medical, vision, dental for employees and family)
- Paid life insurance
- Long-term disability insurance
- Missouri State Employee Retirement System
- Deferred compensation plan
- Cafeteria plan
- Uniforms provided when required
- Access to credit union
- Direct deposit of paycheck
- Employee health, wellness and safety initiatives
- MOST 529 College Savings Program
To be considered, every applicant must complete a Department of Corrections application. Include copies of transcripts if applicable. If you are a veteran, please include a copy of your DD 214 or NGB 22.
Submit the completed application by mail, fax or email.
Corrections - Office of Personnel
Central Hiring Unit
2729 Plaza Drive
Jefferson City, MO 65102