The department encourages employees to participate in professional development throughout their careers and offers multiple opportunities for employees to receive training in a classroom setting, online and through virtual instruction.
The department also provides education benefits.
Missouri Department of Corrections Training Academy
The Missouri Department of Corrections Training Academy develops, coordinates and delivers pre-service, in-service, and management/supervisory training to staff in each of the department's divisions.
The academy promotes the personal growth and professional development while imparting the departmental vision to all staff members to help them achieve the short- and long-term goals of the agency.
Training Learning Modules
Training for corrections staff is offered through four learning modes:
- Online through MoLearning, powered by LinkedIn Learning
- Online through the Department of Corrections Online Training Academy (DOCOTA)
- Online in real time through virtual instructor-led training (VILT)
- In seat at a training center location
Facility staff complete pre-service training at a Missouri Department of Corrections Training Academy facility before starting work in an adult institution. Training takes place at one of three training center locations:
Training Center Locations
- Central Region Training Center
1717 Industrial Dr., Jefferson City, MO 65109
- Western Region Training Center
902 Edmond St., St. Joseph, MO 64501
- Eastern Region Training Center
901 Progress Dr. Farmington, MO 63640
2020-21 TRAINING REQUIREMENTS
- 2020 DOC Staff Mandatory Training
- 2020 DOC Staff Approved Training Electives
- Pre-Service Training Curriculum
2021-22 TRAINING REQUIREMENTS
Training requirements depend on job class and location. Custody staff complete all three academy levels. Other institution staff complete Academy Level 1 and Academy Level 2 training. Probation and Parole staff complete Academy Level 1 training and other Probation and Parole requirements. All staff are required to complete approved elective courses. Check with your supervisor about your training requirements.
MO Learning is the new professional development resource for State of Missouri team members. Powered by LinkedIn Learning, team members have access to thousands of online learning courses anywhere.
To help you create some knowledge of your own, we invite you to participate in our monthly training challenge through LinkedIn Learning. Each can be completed in less than 5 minutes! Click on each day's link to go to your learning site. Happy learning!
MONTHLY MO LEARNING CHALLENGE
- April 2021 MO Learning Calendar
- November 2020 MO Learning Calendar
- October 2020 MO Learning Calendar
- September 2020 MO Learning Calendar
- July 2020 MO Learning Calendar
TRAINING ACADEMY NEWSLETTER
Stay up to date on training requirements and course offerings, and get to know the training staff.