Welcome to your first month with the Department of Corrections Division of Adult Institutions!
We rely on corrections officers and other custody staff to keep Missourians safe — both inside and outside prison walls. You ensure not only that offenders are return safely to our communities after release but also that your teammates return safely to their families after each shift. Thank you for joining our team.
Review these steps so you know what to expect as you start your job.
Discuss expectations, deadlines and priorities with your supervisor.
Your supervisor will provide information about training requirements as you start your job.
Training Learning Modules
Training for corrections staff is offered through four learning modes:
- Online through MoLearning, powered by LinkedIn Learning
- Online through the Department of Corrections Online Training Academy (DOCOTA)
- Online in real time through virtual instructor-led training (VILT)
- In seat at a training center location
Facility staff complete pre-service training at a Missouri Department of Corrections Training Academy facility before starting work in an adult institution. Training takes place at one of three training center locations:
Training Center Locations
- Central Region Training Center
1717 Industrial Dr., Jefferson City, MO 65109
- Western Region Training Center
902 Edmond St., St. Joseph, MO 64501
- Eastern Region Training Center
901 Progress Dr. Farmington, MO 63640
Custody Staff Requirements
Custody Staff Electives
All staff are required to complete approved elective courses.
The Corrections Way
- Communication Styles
- Value Premise
- Effective Feedback
- Quality Conversations/De-escalation
- Growth Model
Important technology-related links:
- Access after you get your login name and password: REACT (password reset)
- Access after you get your first paycheck: Employee Self Service (ESS)
- Reporting hours worked: Employee Time and Attendance (ETA)
- State Help Desk: Office of Administration Internet Technology Services Division (OA ITSD) Portal
- Web applications used on the job:
Learn the Lingo
You’ll find that people in the Department of Corrections (DOC) tend to use a lot of acronyms. Don’t fret! We have a handy list of acronyms that will help you.
Here’s a list of facilities and contacts that will help familiarize you with the Division of Adult Institutions.