Welcome to your first month with the Department of Corrections Division of Probation & Parole (P&P)!
As a member of the P&P team, you play a vital role in helping Missourians involved in the criminal justice system succeed in the community. More than 96% of people who enter the prison system ultimately are released. You help make sure they're good neighbors.
Review these steps so you know what to expect.
Discuss expectations, deadlines and priorities with your supervisor.
Your supervisor will provide information about training requirements as you start your job.
Training Learning Modules
Training for corrections staff is offered through four learning modes:
- Online through MoLearning, powered by LinkedIn Learning
- Online through the Department of Corrections Online Training Academy (DOCOTA)
- Online in real time through virtual instructor-led training (VILT)
- In seat at a training center location
Facility staff complete pre-service training at a Missouri Department of Corrections Training Academy facility before starting work in an adult institution. Training takes place at one of three training center locations:
Training Center Locations
- Central Region Training Center
1717 Industrial Dr., Jefferson City, MO 65109
- Western Region Training Center
902 Edmond St., St. Joseph, MO 64501
- Eastern Region Training Center
901 Progress Dr. Farmington, MO 63640
Probation and Parole Staff Training Requirements
- Academy Level 1
- P&P Pre-service Training
- Initial Safety
- Initial Firearms
Probation & Parole Assistants and Community Transition Officers Requirements
- Academy Level 1
- Academy Level 3
Probation and Parole Staff Electives
All staff are required to complete approved elective courses.
The Corrections Way
- Communication Styles
- Value Premise
- Effective Feedback
- Quality Conversations/De-escalation
- Growth Model
Important technology-related links:
- Access after you get your login name and password: REACT (password reset)
- Access after you get your first paycheck: Employee Self Service (ESS)
- Reporting hours worked: Employee Time and Attendance (ETA)
- State Help Desk: Office of Administration Internet Technology Services Division (OA ITSD) Portal
- Web applications used on the job:
Learn the Lingo
You’ll find that people in the Department of Corrections (DOC) tend to use a lot of acronyms. Don’t fret! We have a handy list of acronyms that will help you.
Districts and Offices
Here’s a list of and that will help familiarize you with Probation and Parole facilities.
P&P staff work in a variety of in-person and remote settings. Your supervisor will work with you on establishing work schedules and locations. Please review the policy on remote work.
Ohio Risk Assessment System (ORAS)
The Department of Corrections uses the Ohio Risk Assessment System (ORAS) to identify factors that drive a person toward negative or criminal behaviors.The assessment identifies each person’s risk of re-offending and helps staff assess offenders, target interventions, and inform responses to behavior. Data helps identify which reentry services and programs best meet each individual’s needs.